Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Make Your Own Balance Beam!


I made this balance beam for Caden when he was about 15 months old. I wanted it to be a little off the ground to challenge him later on. I love this because standing straight up it takes up hardly any room at all in the closet! This is great for older kids too! You can add it to an obstacle coarse or play "across the bridge"(another post) games.

So here's how I made mine:

I went to home Depot and bought a board. I had them cut one 5 foot piece and two 9 inch pieces.



Then I bought four of these things? I don't know what they are called but they are with the roofing stuff:) I screwed the two nine inch piece to either end using the "thingies" and I was done! The whole thing cost me like five bucks!



This is Caden the first day I made it. Daddy had to help but now he walks it like a pro! He also drives his cars on it!

12 comments:

  1. Gosh I love your blog.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another incredible idea! I'm thinking of heading to Home Depot today to get the supplies to make this. We live in an apartment without a backyard, so I love anything that helps my kids be more active when we can't get outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog too! I keep getting more ideas from you. Just sent my husband to Lowes and he's building a balance beam as I type. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. helllo I am trying to do this for my girls build them a gymnastics gym with as much stuff we can do ourselves. My girls are 7 and 9 and they are in gymnastics and love it could you tell me what type of wood I would use for them and how to make it higher. Email me at natalken12@yahoo.com Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. haaahahhahahhahah that is so small and i a 11 year old lv. 1 gymnast can practice on that!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i meant cant!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thts a really good idea thanks :)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your idea and the price is affordable. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you posted this blog awhile ago, but I wanted to thank you for how simple you made this. My son was recently diagnosed with Dyspraxia, and ive been trying to get my husband to build him a balance beam, and how simple you showed it I can get the supplies and i could probably build it, or at least it will be easy enough for him to do with little time, he works 2 jobs. But I just want to thank you, I also have a 18month old and a 4year old, so I will be using it for them as well incase they also have a form of Dyspraxia, its genetic so there is a good chance they could as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm a gymnast and i think that beams great but for me i will need it a bit taller

    ReplyDelete
  11. dont kids get splinters? is there any type of cloth youd recommed

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments and try to respond to each and every one!

So, please make sure your email address is set up with your profile so that I am able to respond to you. :)

How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your Dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a checkmark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE